Royal Caribbean Day 7: Day at Sea

Our final day on the Adventure of the Seas. After we set sail from Barbados, we knew it was going to be a long 36 hours aboard the ship, but we also knew it was going to be a good time with good friends.

As per usual, our day started with breakfast, but thankfully, it wasn’t as early as the past five days, so we were able to sleep in just a little. Darren and I knew there was ONE thing we had on our list for the day….POOL!

At this point, I hadn’t spent much time around the pools. Majority of our time had been spent on ports, eating or enjoying the night performances/activities, so it was about time I took advantage of the other amenities our cruise ship had to offer. I especially loved that they had a separate pool just for adults! Don’t get me wrong, I absolutely love kids, I mean I am a speech therapist and now ESL teacher in Thailand, but it was nice to be away from kids for a little while.

Since we got a late start this morning, by the time we made it to the pool, there weren’t many chairs available. Luckily, I found an open pool chair in the adult only pool area. However, it happened to be in the direct line of the sun and the sun in the Caribbean is no joke. Although I came prepared with sunscreen, my body still managed to get burnt.

After a couple hours, I started to become restless and hungry, so I found Darren (we separated at the pool), and we ventured to lunch and met up with Karen and Richard.

It was at this point that the pool deck was starting to get very active with pool events including a belly flop competition. And yes, I did stay and watch as it’s always funny to watch others flop in the pool!

As the day progressed, our little crew grew as we met up with Bridget and Rob from the previous night. We remained on the pool deck to continue to watch the entertaining, “Sexy Man Competition”. It was by far the best entertainment on the ship! Rob even joined in the competition, which made watching way more enjoyable. Once the competition ended, the six of us divided and headed back to our cabins to get freshen up for dinner.

Our final family dinner sure was special. We had, of course, a delectable and delicious dinner, followed by a bottle of bubbly and some dancing from our wait staff, which was beyond enjoyable. Once dinner came to an end, we wandered the ship, had a few more beverages before I called it a night (it was 11:30pm) and headed to bed.

BUT…I wish I could say that really was the end of our cruise. It’s not. Not even a little.

Darren and I had an EXTREMELY surprising and rather terrifying morning wake up call by US customs and Border once we arrived back to San Juan, Puerto Rico. At 5:30 AM, we jolted awake to pounding at our door. Loud, thudding, pounding along side “Open up. This is Customs.” Upon opening the door, there stood FIVE agents and a drug dog. We were told to get our passport and step outside. Not quite the wake up call I was expecting.

So at 5:30 in the morning, Darren and I stood outside our cabin, getting asked a ton of questions as CBP and the drug dog searched and sniffed our room. Neither of us were worried, but it was still quite the shock and after 30-40 minutes of waiting, we were cleared to re-enter our room. Surprisingly enough, neither of us could really get back to bed.

So, after eating breakfast and completing all of our disembarking requirements, we headed off the ship and into customs. Thankfully, because we were searched earlier, we bypassed the entire line and headed off towards the airport!

I truly don’t think I could have asked for a better week or a better travel buddy. Between all our adventures, our new friendships, and all of our enjoyable evenings, my week on the Adventure of the Seas ship with Royal Caribbean Cruises was surely special and one of a kind!

P.S. STAY TUNED FOR UPCOMING THAILAND BLOGS!! I have so much to tell you about 🙂

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.